You ask me, "Where is Germany is Konstanz?" I show you this.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Process of Fleeing and the Arrival

The beginning of my trip turned itself unexpectedly in a rushed mess that included my poor father scrambling to pack my things into the car and also cutting short a luxurious stroll with my two sisters and mother.
            See, originally my flight had been delayed until 4:30 PM that day, which was utterly great for me because my hair was (and now still is) in bad need of a haircut. Now, my previous self thought, there will be time for Anne to trim it! No such luck. All of the sudden my father called my mother. All I had to go by was the muffled sounds of him freaking out from the phone and my mom’s semi-frantic reaction. It was noon, and the airport had transferred me to a 1:00 PM flight. The airport is a 30 minute drive, not to mention I was nowhere near the house. And so the chaos began. But, alas, I made it somehow and the journey continues. (perhaps it may have had something to do with my father speeding like a mad man into Steinmart’s parking lot. J I love him).
            So a plane flight and a connection later, I found myself flying over the Atlantic en route to Zurich. I sat next to a very nice businessman who it just so happens was a Michigan State alum! The next seven and half hours were filled with chatting, reading, and bouts of attempted sleep.
            Arrival was the scary part. At first it was fine. Switzerland, I observed, has the easiest customs I’ve ever gone through! They checked my passport, I didn’t have to fill out any forms, and then I walked through an entrance that read “Nothing to Claim” (only it said it in German).
            After I left, then I had no clue was I was doing. I walked to the Bahn (train) and realized I had no clue where my hotel was. And so I went back and asked a couple randomly chosen clerks. The first one looked at me like “Duh, the Bahn is downstairs. Go there. I’ve no clue where your Marriot is!” The second was a bit more helpful. I walked to where the hotel shuttles were and two men asked me which hotel and then, I got to have my first real German conversation of my abroad (well, one that did not include asking directions). We talked about the movie Titantic (so monumental I know).
            I rode to my hotel in a shuttle with a nice Turkish woman who grew up in Germany. Luckily, she spoke German with me instead of reducing me to someone who could only speak English. (It’s so frustrating when trying to get myself polished up on the language and people realize that and then only speak English with me). She was nice enough to stay speaking in German even when I fumbled over my words. She proceeded to tell me that Konstanz was “toll!” (super). She told me that in der Schweiz, the people aren’t so friendly to Auslaenders (foreigners, aka, what I am) but that in Germany (Konstanz included) they were much more open-minded and accepting.
            On arrival I had planned to drop off my luggage and go exploring. Unfortunately, outside my hotel didn’t look as friendly as other places I had seen in Zurich, and the thought of paying 22,50 CBF for another ride when I knew I had to do it tomorrow and buy a train ticket didn’t seem like such a smart idea. And so, I napped, read, tried to figure out the TV (a failed mission) and eventually thought I’d meander downstairs to the hotel restaurant for dinner. After perusing the menu, I decided paying 48 CBF for a meal didn’t sound appealing either. I went to the little store close by and bought a sandwich and water (still ridiculously expensive) and escaped back to my room to write and eat.
            If anyone saw me in this room they would have a great youtube video. It took me about 5 minutes of trying to turn on lights and rummaging around before I figured out that the lights do not work unless you put your hotel keycard in a slot. Smart, huh? That way the key can’t be misplaced in the room. If the lights are working, then you know exactly where that thing is! Also, the showers here are quite confusing. I got the tub facet on, but man, that shower head did Not want to spout out water! It took me even longer to finally work the shower than the lights. Sad story, but entertaining none-the-less … only because I did eventually figure it out, though. The excitement that I felt when that showerhead finally sprayed out water was measureable to a kid in a candy store!  
            Also, I bought yogurt, but I have no fridge, so the cartons now sit between the window and the window screen. It’s freezing outside, so that functions as a fridge, right? What a screwed up adventure just the hotel has been.
            End of story, failed Zurich adventure, or else, just a different type of adventure and learning experience than expected. Also, lesson learned: Zurich ist sehr teuer! (Zurich is very expensive).

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Ellen! :-)
    I didn't know that about the Swiss -- that, at least according to your Turkish friend, they aren't very cordial to foreigners.
    I'm glad you got the shower working.
    Hey, as for the yogurt -- does your room have an ice bucket? You can fill it with ice at an ice machine in the hallway and put your yogurt in that if the window trick isn't working.
    Love,
    Amanda Sue*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda!

    My room didn't have an ice bucket unfortunately, but fortunately my window trick was a slamming success :)

    I love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ellen - A lot of the high prices is because of a weak American Dollar and that is due to our excessive government spending. You'll find in better in Konstanz. Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha! I had the same problem when I stayed in a hotel in London last summer! I was so hopelessly confused, and then when I figured it out I was like.... ahhhhh, so much better. What is a CBF? I take it that it's money but not sure. I suppose I could look it up... :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Grandpa! I love you!

    And Aayla, we think alike =P and it's Francs, the Swiss money

    ReplyDelete