You ask me, "Where is Germany is Konstanz?" I show you this.

Friday, May 20, 2011

There are no baguettes like European baguettes ...

… (especially the ones from France, but Germany’s pack the punch too)

While I know I should be doing various homework or life errands (going to the bank, calling the credit card company, sending emails, etc), I feel the need today to procrastinate a bit and update my blog.
           
            It’s hard, coming over her from America, not to visit the bakeries in Germany every single day. Actually, I rarely do go a day without wondering into one. There is one of nearly every block, sometimes two or three even! And they are sport a vast array of glorious breads, sandwiches, and sweets (like my favorite chocolate croissant). Each time I purchase a delicious fresh loaf of baked bread, or a warm baguette, I think again to myself, “How will I live when I am back in America and do not have these amazing bakeries?” I’m sure if any German could read my thoughts, they would laugh hardily, for they are used to such things. They don’t even think about it. I appreciate every single sandwich in every single shop. I’m equally as sure if a French person could read the same thoughts, they would thing I was “total verrückt!” (totally crazy), for the bakeries in their countries blow everyone else’s out of the water.

            Will I be able to go back to the store bought bread? I doubt I’ll ever have a taste for it again.
            I’ve finally coming to the conclusion that, one, I will have to go to Panera every other day, two, I will have to bake my own bread (if only I always had the time available), or three, I just won’t be able to eat bread anymore. It will most likely be a mixture of all three, I suppose.
            It’s funny; I hardly had any culture shock coming here. It was truly easy to get used to the use of no car (the amazing public transportation helped with that), the quiet Sundays where nearly everything ist geschlossen (is closed), the Pünktlichkeit (punctuality), knocking on tables as opposed to clapping (this one is truly a bit weird) etc. and so on. I’m not sure how easy it’ll be to go back, though. I think I may experience more culture shock returning to America than coming from America.
            Good thing I’m planning to return to Germany the year after I graduate, or maybe two years after, to commence research! Hopefully it works out!

2 comments:

  1. What's this about commencing research? In Germany after you graduate? I haven't heard of any such plans, little lady. Sorry I missed your call the other day!! I wouldn't have been able to get on skype at that point anyway. Are you still six hours ahead? We need to make an actual plan ahead of time, so we're both sure to be at our computers at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen,
    This blog sounds like the conversation we had when we skyped a couple weeks ago.
    When you say the year after you graduate, do you mean one year later? I'm confused.
    Also, I have heard of people experiencing more culture shock upon returning home than upon entering the foreign country in the first place. I guess it's because they expect things to be different in the foreign country, but they expect coming home for everything to be just the same -- and it's not for two reasons. 1) They themselves have changed, and 2) things at home have changed a little since they left.
    Love,
    Amanda Sue*

    ReplyDelete