You ask me, "Where is Germany is Konstanz?" I show you this.

Monday, May 2, 2011

C'est Beau

Well, it’s been far too long since I’ve had the time to blog … and if I am going to be quite honest with myself, I don’t truly have the time now, but I think it needs to be done. France was beautiful, but it would have been 3x more so if I had known the language. In a way, however, not knowing the language had it’s own merits. For instance, one can appreciate the beauty of a language in a different way by listening to the sounds.
The third evening I was in France was the evening Remy and I arrived in Brittany. Shortly upon arrival we were herded off to church for the Easter Service (Joyeuses Pâques!). Here I was witness to beautiful hymns and prayers sung and spoken in French. I had no clue as to what they were saying, but the sounds were beautiful.
Another way not knowing the language played a positive role: one can discern what people are saying, the feelings people have between one and other, and the expressions people make, without spoken language, but with body language. I noticed things I may not have seen if I could actively participate in every conversation.
OK, enough about speech, more about the happenings of the trip itself. We started in Paris. Remy’s university is located in Paris and thus, he knows it well and most of his friends reside there. It is so much more enjoyable to see a city through the eyes of a native.
The night we arrived we met up with Britt and Monica (two of my American friends who study in Germany with me) in the train station. We all four met up with some of Remy’s friends and attended a kind of party of a bridge. This bridge is a footbridge located in the middle of “tourist central” (meaning it is by Notre Dame and such places). The local students and young people go there most nights in groups just to hang out. I’m pretty sure Moni, Britt, and myself were the only non-French speakers. Luckily, Remy’s friends speak English and were very welcoming (unlike most of the French are towards Americans).

Not a great photo, but the only one I could take without drawing a ton of attention to myself. This is from the bridge talked about above.
The following day we had what Remy calls, “Cheesy Paris Day.” He guided us through the touristy sections of Paris and we went photo-crazy, got ice cream, and sucked in the view.

If you don't know what this is a photo of, please go to history class. ;)


I love the lighting here.



Just a moment I liked.
 
Brittany (a different region on France where his family owns a castle and land) lent an entirely different experience. It was still enjoyable, but not in the same fashion. The landscape was breathtaking. Their castle sits right on a quaint lake in the country. The meals were jolly and followed by various cheeses and dessert. I also picked up a bit of French and have a new determination to learn a bit more of it. (It’s funny, after going to Spain and picking up a bit of Spanish again I had the same determination. Now I must decide which to take next semester just so I know the basics for the future).

Remy and his family on the steps chatting away.
Remy, his brother, and some goofball cousins taking the fact the we didn't have enough paddles for everyone into their own hands.
A town in Brittany.

Part of the backyard.

Random funny insert: every time I met a new French person, and they discovered I was learning German and not French, they just couldn’t fathom why.
The trip back was quite eventful. Rides got mixed up and Remy and I ended up having to spend the night in Geneva. The next day we visited a few other places, like Annecy (semi on a whim and semi because we had no choice) and finally got home entirely too late. It took us two days to travel what should have taken 7 hours. But it was an adventure and I wouldn’t take it back if I could! One bad thing happened after another but due to the occasional happy surprise of a new pretty place, the bad things just appeared hilarious to me.
The view from the room I stayed in in Geneva.

We had a picnic in the park while in Annecy, France.


6 comments:

  1. Ellen! Sehr schoen! Deine Reise klingt perfekt! Solch ein Abenteuer! Die Erfahrung koennte ein Film sein. (Probably can't REALLY say that in German, but you know what I mean.)
    By the way, ich moechte irgendwann "The Kings Speech" sehen. Als ich in Deutschland war, sahen wir "The Da Vinci Code." Auf Deustch. Sehr interessant und manchmal sehr schwerig zu verstehen.
    Love,
    Amanda Sue*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,
    Wenn ich zurück nach Hause ankomme, sollen wir deutsche Filme zusammen ansehen :) Ich wiess was du meinst (mit die Erfahrung)! Es war total verruckt.
    Liebe dich!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that special little moment on the street too, Elle Belle. Is that a cat in the window?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, lounging contentedly on old used french books :)

    ReplyDelete