You ask me, "Where is Germany is Konstanz?" I show you this.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Weekend with the French ... again

            After spontaneously discovering a trip to Lyon this past weekend, I deciding to take it even though I’d only been back barely a day and a half from Rome. After a string of transportation, and the meeting of many-a-kind of people, Remy and I made it to the city. I feel the need here, however, to insert a bit about each of the interesting fellows we met to and from Lyon. There was a German man with kein Beruf (no occupation) but to travel and work from his computer designing websites. He has no permanent home, but lives currently based from Italy and has travelled to places as far as both America and India. We actually had many interesting conversations both in English and German, but he also spoke French, Italian, and who knows what else. If only I knew so many languages! We also met an Austrian who was on his way to a rock climbing trip! Woo hoo! He and his wife also live on the Bodensee (Lake Constance/Konstanz) and they invited both Remy and I to visit and climb by there home. This is perfect because I have my shoes and harness dabei (with me), but no rope. We met a nice French, cat lady (the term “cat lady” not used in a bad sense, her cats were really very adorable). And also a group of guys from “the ivory coast” who got along well with Remy, but didn’t seem to capture the concept that, really, even if they spoke slowly, I don’t understand much French (this is in progress, however).  
            Well, those were the characters on the way there. On the way back, only a couple small groups stood out. For instance, a Swiss (but born in Belgium) lady who absolutely depised capitalism and wasn’t afraid to really speak her mind, and a Turkish family living in Germany with a very talkative 9-year-old daughter. The lady and I actually ending up hitting it off in the end with quite the conversation about environmental issues and the ways of going about bettering them, and the young girl allowed me to practice my German skills and helped with small grammar mistakes I still make. She’s used to it, since her parents aren’t native Germans and she has lived there since she was born. Plus, I taught her how to make funny faces, and I forced Remy to join in.
            As of Lyon, it was relaxing and simply fun. We slept late, hung out in parks, sat by the river, danced, and jumped off of a 21 meter bridge. I’m learning more French all the time, but it’s still lucky that Remy’s friends can all speak English as well.
The church and "eiffel tower" on the hill. The tower is only a few meters higher than the church and was built as a symbol so that the church wouldn't be the highest part of Lyon.

One of the cutest dogs I've seen since being to Europe.

An American flag!? Am I home?

Dancing with Tristan in the America-themed bar.

Goofballs.

The room of mattresses where nearly everyone slept.

Standing on stairs outside while a stream of water two inches deep swept down the stairs and street.

The brave before the storm.

Remy and his friends in a park overlooking Lyon.

The bridge we jumped from ... but it looks a lot smalled from far away. 21 meters looks VERY high when you are about to jump from it. Don't worry, Mom and Dad, I watched many others do it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment